Its long overdue that I mention how awesome the wallpaper created by Jason ‘Tiki’ Tackett is. They are always my favorite and they look awesome on a full monitor OR your cell phone! Check some of this stuff out!
Last week’s episode of the Simpsons titled The Man Who Came To Be Dinner had just a little bit of everything to keep me entertained. I actually saved it on my Tivo which I haven’t done with a Simpsons episode in ages. Not since the Simpsons visited EFCOT Center have I been so enchanted.
1. They go to Dizzneeland – there are a VARIETY of nods to the park that make the episode worth watching.
2. They make numerous references to Star Wars and “Dizznee’s” relationship in having attractions related to it in the park.
3. Their version of the Enchanted Tiki Room combines Start Wars with Jabba The Tiki Hut!
4. They go into OUTER SPACE and visit the planet Rigel VII. Not to be confused with the real life Rigel, a star found in the constellation Orion.
This episode also didn’t follow the typical [insert guest star voice and one time character here] formula. Definitely worth seeing.
Happy New Year! Its 2015, a year that to many of us in certain age groups see as such a futuristic year. Based on the movie, Back to the Future II we had some well documented exciting things to look forward to by now:
Things not happening on the regular:
- Self-fitting and self-drying jackets
- Jaws 19
- $40,000 to convert your car to a hovercraft
- In-wall fax machines – scanners are super slim but no paper inside the wall exists yet to allow for your incoming faxes. Good thing we moved towards texting. That said, if I ever lost my job over text I would be pretty pissed.
Things here or on the way!
There is still a lot of wonder and imagination left in what the future holds for us. It looks very different from the “retro future” we came up with in the 80’s but it still exists. Here’s hoping that the folks at EPCOT can return some of the wonder that used to exist in Future World!
Let the countdowns begin!!
There’s been recent info about Disney leadership changes and I usually don’t pay much attention to these but this one caught my attention for a few reasons…
- This one is related to the creative direction of EPCOT – something I think we can all agree needs some help.
- The person taking over this position of “Creative Manager” is Imagineer, Tom Fitzgerald. Or, you may know him as my BF from the 80’s as seen here:
I mean if the dude who coined the phrase “If you can dream it, you can do it.” can’t make it happen who can?
Do you ever feel like you don’t have enough accessories for your power naps? I never used to, but I sure do now!
The Power Nap Capsule
The frame and canopy create a personal, semi-enclosed napping space that can help you block out distracting sounds and sights.
The Power Nap Head Pillow
The pillow allows users to tune out their surroundings, creating a dark, quiet microenvironment ideal for achieving a deep, restful sleep whether stranded in a crowded airport or recharging between meetings at work.
Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party
A few years ago we did the Pirate and Princess Party and had so much fun being in the park late at night with limited crowds. Everyone tells me that the parade is the best part but I’m not big on parades so I spent the time on rides and they had no wait!
- Haunted Mansion – the incredible lighting and the actress on the lawn were amazing touches!
Me, as Madame Leota! (it was a million degrees in that wig and my make up was melting off within minutes)
- Pirates of the Caribbean
- Thunder Mountain
- Happy HalloWishes Fireworks
- WEDWay People Mover
- Monstrous Scream-O-Ween Ball
There is so much to see at this event PLUS trick or treating with name brand candy! The map shows all the locations where you can line up for candy. Kinda funny to hear them blasting “Welcome to the Jungle” outside the Enchanted Tiki Room!
Days 6 & 7: EPCOT
So we all know the story. EPCOT isn’t nearly as awesome as it used to be. I know that, and I usually turn a blind eye to it and still have an incredible time. That’s usually because I’m running around so frantically trying to get in as much as I can. This time, I was able to have a relaxing trip – a stop and smell the roses kind of visit. I was able to stand in Future World, look around, and honestly admit that its the pits.
- Ellen’s Energy Adventure? 45 minutes and a wait that included no shade in 90 degree weather.
- Empty Wonders of Life? Its so hard to accept that this space has become the junk drawer of the park.
- Mission Space?
- Journey into Imagination? Its so lame that its almost creepy.
- Innoventions? “The next show starts in 5 minutes.”
That’s A LOT of caca. Knowing how great it all used to be to turn to what we have today breaks my heart. You’ve all heard this before, this is nothing new. I just had to get it out there.
Now that I’ve spit out my grumpies, let’s focus on the good stuff that’s there. We spent a good deal of time at SeaBase in the Living Seas. They had a lot of divers in the tanks and the dolphin training is really fun to watch!
- The Land – Sunshine Seasons (Breakfast)
- The Living Seas – SeaBase
- Captain Eo
- Fountain of Nations
- Fountain View – Peanut Brownie
- Base21 Lounge
- Spaceship Earth
- Gran Fiesta Tour – Mexico
- Food and Wine
- Nap Time!
- Beaches and Cream (Dinner)
- Rest of the evening was spent at the Not So Scary Halloween Party
- Cape May Character (Breakfast)
- The Living Seas – Finding Nemo
- The Living Seas – SeaBase/Dolphin Training
- Beach Club Solarium – It was FRIGID every time we walked through here but it was SO HOT on this last day we sat in here for over 30 minutes to cool down and that barely worked. I will never complain about the temperature in here again. I think it saved my life.
Days 4 & 5: Hollywood Studios & EPCOT
We changed rooms from Bay Lake to Beach Club so the focus of the rest of the trip was around these two parks. Also, it was HOT! High 80’s.
Tuesday (EPCOT/Hollywood Studios)
- Captain Cooks (Breakfast)
- Monorail to EPCOT
- Art of Disney – I think almost the whole Collectible portion of the tiki room merchandise was on display for purchase!
- Yacht Club Lobby to meet a friend (and sit in the AC)
- Boat to Hollywood Studios
- Mai Tai from High Octane Refreshments
- Sci Fi (Lunch) – FINALLY tried the Vegetarian Sheppard’s Pie! It was good, but shouldn’t be combined with a Mai Tai on a wicked hot day. Ugh.
- Hotel Room Hang out
- Tutto Italia (Dinner) – The Tonnarelli is incredible.
- Go-Go’s (again)
Wednesday (Hollywood Studios/EPCOT)
- Beach Club Market Place (Breakfast) – Cheesey Potato Casserole!!
- Toy Story Mania
- Tower of Terror (x2) – I LOVE it when the queue looks creepy with mist!
- Great Movie Ride – kinda weird using the new queue line
- Biergarten (Lunch)
- Japan (Sake Bar)
- Nap Time!
- La Hacienda (Dinner)
- Spaceship Earth
Day 3: Animal Kingdom & EPCOT
All other days on our trip included daily visits to EPCOT and the other parks. This was my first Food and Wine and as a vegetarian I definitely didn’t go hungry. It was worth visiting during the day to avoid the lines but even at night, the lines moved pretty quickly.
Monday (Animal Kingdom/EPCOT)
- Everest – I think this was my last time on this. It crosses that fine line of an adrenaline rush and absolute terror.
Silly Lilly from Christine Benoit on Vimeo.
- Sanaa (Lunch) – I think this place should have a 24 hr delivery set up.
- Nap Time!
- Monorail to EPCOT
- Spaceship Earth
- Test Track – my first time since the refurb. I wasn’t that into it but when I pretend its Tron then I like it again.
- Food and Wine (Snack)
- Go-Go’s, yes, the freaking Go-Go’s.
- Food and Wine (Dinner)
- Bay Lake Lounge (Drinks)